I make cookies a lot. I figure if I am going to get fat I may as well get fat off of stuff I make. That way I know what my jiggle is made of.
I have tried many many different recipes. To be honest most of them have been chocolate chip cookie recipes. Thats because Regan refuses to put anything past his mouth that is in the shape of a cookie that does not contain said chocolate chips. It just wont happen. No matter how many gorgeous batches of Soft Molasses Cookies, Sinfully Cinnamon Cookies or Imperial cookies I make he will not eat them. So I am now the goddess of chocolate chip cookies. I am sure my recipe trial count is now in the dozens. By far the best I have come across is the one below. Tonight after enjoying one of these puppies warm from the oven I figured I would grant the internets the opportunity to follow my lead and indulge.
A few notes on cookies
- USE GOOD VANILLA!!!!!!! No artificial crap. Its crap people. Pure crap and alcohol. So as soon as it heats up the alcohol burns off and it messes the whole works up. Madagascar vanilla is the best.There is a reason this tip is first, because it is just that important.
- The middle rack is the place for them. Keeps the bottoms from burning the sugar in them.
- As for Cinnamon, Saigon Cinnamon is the one with the roundest of flavour and makes my mouth the happiest.
- When you are dropping your cookies onto the cookie sheet try to do so on a cool cookie sheet. That way your dough of the first few cookies wont have started to spread on you before you fill the sheet.
- Speaking of cookie sheets, if you can find them the ones without the sides are the best. They allow for more air flow I find and create a more even texture.
- Check your cookies in the last minute of recommended baking time. Obviously each oven if different so if you know yours is hotter 'en hell check more often. Pull them out when you see colour on the edges of the cookies below.
- If you want a chewy cookie pull them out right away when you see the edges begin to turn colour and then let them sit on the cookie pan for a few minutes before taking them off.
- Use a cooling rack for your cookies. It allows the whole cookie to cool evenly and can save some recipes for the dreaded soggy bottom cookie syndrome.
So on to the recipe!
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Combine flour and baking soda.
In a large bowl beat brown sugar, sugar, butter, shortening, pudding mix, vanilla, and almond extract.
Mix until well blended.
Add eggs and mix well.
Beat in the flour mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded teasponful and bake 10-12 minutes.