Thursday, February 26, 2009



As of late I have been looking for child care for baby girl. As a fully formed Early Childhood Educator with a level two certificate, minted circa 2004, I knew there was a shortage. But I guess all I can say is I didn't KNOW know.

I haven't been able to find anything in a day care so now I have down graded to looking for a 'babysitter'. This morning at 2:30 am I woke up in a cold sweat about finding someone to look after what is, essentially, my heart and soul crawling around out side my body. So I stopped at Kijiji.com I replied to a few postings of university students looking to make a little money under the table. I was pretty positive I would find someone i could be happy with.

Then I got my responses back.

I was SHOCKED by how many used the colloquialism "dat" for the word "that". I am sorry. But if you use "dat" in a email to what is a prospective employer, you are not going to look after my child. If you have an obviously all consuming fear of capital letters, periods and all other forms of grammar, and you are not ee cummings, you may not spend time with my child.

Thank goodness for the love and support of friends and family. I think I have enough people offering to help baby girl now wont be forced to spend time with people who use "wass up" or "what ev's" with a straight face.

2 comments:

  1. lmao!
    not at your situation, but at the responses you received...

    good luck in your search, it seems like there is a huge shortage all over the country - we have to thank mr harper for the $100 we ger every month to replace a proper national childcare system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for standing up to dat - it drives me crazy that people don't use relatively formal english in formal communications anymore.

    good luck with the search. Too bad you are not here is Saskatoon, I could recommend our childcare lady - she is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete